Friday, May 29, 2009

Monopoly


"Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200". I always wondered what I was going to jail for. Not paying that parking ticket? Leaving in the middle of the night without making rent? Mismanagement of utilities? Then there's the "Get out of Jail Free" card. Did I bribe someone? No, that wouldn't be free. Must have threatened them, or maybe ... I'm innocent of whatever trumped up charge had me in jail in the first place! That's probably it.

The national Monopoly championships are about to take place in Montreal and the winner will go on to the world championships in Las Vegas in October. Prize money is $15,000 for the national winner and $20,580 U.S for the world winner; an odd number but equal to all the cash in the board game's bank. Probably was big stakes when the game first came out. Doesn't seem like much these days but maybe it will again.

No comments: